May Gardening Tips
Below are the May Gardening Tips from the Pasquotank Master Gardeners.
- Any flowering trees or shrubs after they bloom. Redbud, flowering almond, camellia, forsythia, mahonia, pieris, ligustrum, pittosporum, quince, rhododendron, viburnum, weigela, climbing roses and azaleas. Prune azaleas before July when new buds form for next year.
- Crape myrtle, butterfly bush, Rose of Sharon and azaleas.
- Sow seed for warm season crops such as watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins, bush and lima beans.
- Green beans, crowder peas, cucumbers, basil, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet potatoes and okra.
- Pinch annuals to create bushing.
- Pinch chrysanthemums until July 15.
- Mulch trees and shrubs to conserve moisture.